Home > Claiming Back > Claiming Back Bank Penalty Charges

Claiming Back Bank Penalty Charges

By: Chris Nickson - Updated: 5 Oct 2012 | comments*Discuss
Unclaimed Money Unclaimed Assets

It's no secret that banks overcharge on fees when you go in the red without permission. As many people have discovered, the amount they charge might well be excessive, and thousands have filed claims and banks have been forced to reimburse them on the charges, in amounts sometimes running into several thousand pounds or more.

At the time of writing, much hinges on a test case before the High Court, which will almost certainly result in an appeal by one side or the other, and an eventual decision in the House of Lords in 2009.

However, customers can still make claims - they just won't be acted on until a legal decision has been reached.

Preparing a Claim

The first thing you need to do is collect all your bank statements from the last six years. If you don't have them, you can order them from your bank, although you'll have to pay for them.

Go through and highlight all the banks charges you've had to pay for being overdrawn as well as other charges, then add up the total - you might well be surprised as to just how much you've had to pay.

You'll need to write a letter to the bank stating your claim, including the figure you're asking, and giving them 14 days to respond. You'll also need to enclose photocopies of all your statements as proof of the charges. Send it by recorded delivery to ensure it's signed for and received.

You might also want to consider transferring your account to another bank before you begin to pursue your claim. This is purely to cover yourself. There have been numerous instances of banks closing accounts of claimants without warning and for no apparent reason. This way you direct debits can continue without any problem.

The Next Step

If the bank rejects your claim or simply doesn't respond to your letter (which is a common tactic), then write once again threatening to take them to court (in many instances this will be small claims court) or to go to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). Once again, include copies of all the statements with the charges and send by recorded delivery.

If this brings no response, or a smaller compensation offer than you're willing to accept, you'll need to move ahead with your threat. If the claim is very small, going through the FOS might be the best bet. If they find in your favour, then the bank will have to pay you in eight weeks or incur a fine (which is currently £370). You have six months from the time the bank rejects your claim to file with the FOS, and it will cost you nothing.

If you decide to pursue your claim through small claims court, you'll have to fill out a claim and file it with the court, after which the bank has 21 days in which to respond. At this point, there's a fair chance the bank will capitulate and pay the amount you've requested rather than go to court. However, if they do contest the matter, you'll both have to attend a fairly informal hearing. If the court finds in your favour, the bank has no choice but to pay - if it refuses, in theory you can legally seize their goods!

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Lambo
    Re: The Case of Nationwide & Portman
    I had a mortgage with my parents with Portland many years ago, I have all the account no’s etc, where do I go from here…
    19 August 2019
  • Staceypeaches
    Re: Unclaimed Pensions
    My Granda died 13 years ago 6 months before his 75th birthday. My grandad pension was to go to my nana but she was told no.. can you please…
    17 August 2019
  • Jade
    Re: Premium Bonds & National Savings
    My grandad (now deceased) set up 2 paper savings bonds for me 26 years ago, but the papers were misplaced and I don't…
    13 August 2019
  • Stuart
    Re: Unclaimed Windfall Shares
    I have just cleared out my parents house after the recent death of my father I found a certificate for Abbey National shares dating…
    12 August 2019
  • None
    Re: Unclaimed Pensions
    My mother Barbara Dodd passed away 2004 age 64 she worked most of her life at Montgomery Tomlinson’s saltney chester. She mentioned she had a…
    10 August 2019
  • lindag
    Re: How To Claim Back Overpayments on Utility Bills
    we have been charged for waste water for years and the water board agreed now that we are due rebate but…
    2 August 2019
  • Monty
    Re: Unclaimed Pensions
    Mother and father worked at champion spark plugs Wirral, both have now died before retirement age have either got paid into a pension , I am…
    1 August 2019
  • Conny
    Re: Premium Bonds & National Savings
    Hi I was told that I was brought at post office bond in 1976 by my gran. How do I go about finding this out please any one
    31 July 2019
  • Muck
    Re: The Case of Nationwide & Portman
    I had a london and Manchester endowment mortgage in 1987 with my partner it was passed to the Portman building society…
    31 July 2019
  • SMO
    Re: The Facts on Unclaimed Land and Property in the UK
    Hi, my neighbour in his 60’s has recently abandoned the house next door. He was in his own in the…
    24 July 2019